Things to Remember for a Post wedding Name Change

Incorporating your spouse’s name into the family will benefit you build a stronger bond to your family members simplifies travel, benefit you deal with emergency medical situations more efficiently as well as streamline procedures once kids are a part of the family.

But, you must consider other factors also. If you’ve already created your own skillful identity using your maiden name, the transition to the surname of your spouse could be a lengthy process and require some adjustment.

Another choice that is available is to blend two surnames in an alternating name. This allows you to retain your personal name while embracing the new connection to your family. The decision to alter the name of your spouse after wedding or an civil partnership is incredibly personal. If you’re planning to alter your name, administration are not a reason to be discouraged. Name changes in marriage can differ based on the location you live in and the surname change you want, as well as how fast you’d like to begin together the new name.


Below is a comprehensive overview of the most common scenarios affecting UK citizens assuming that the wedding took place within the UK:


1. Adopting your spouse’s name:  It’s usually the easiest situation. A marriage certificate will suffice for a change of name in any legal document, so you have it stating your maiden name as well as the surname you’re adopting.


2. Lost marriage certificate: If you’ve lost or misplaced the marriage certificate you received do not concers. It is possible to obtain a certified replacement or, alternatively using the deed-poll to legally change the name of your spouse.


3. Using your maiden name as your primary name: If you’d like to use the maiden name you have as your name of middle A deed-poll is likely to be required as a marriage license typically does not cover surname changes.


4. Double-barreled surnames: If you choose to go with an hyphenated surname like combining the surnames, the marriage certificate is generally used as a valid proof of name change because of the distinct distinction made by the”hyphen.


5. Create a new surname to both of the partners: This is becoming increasingly popular. It allows the feature lets both parties create a new name or show an equality of relationship. A deed-poll is required to officially approve the new arrangement.


6. Professional use of maiden names: It is possible to opt to take your spouse’s name legally and maintaining your maiden name for skillful purposes. The dual method is documented on your passport, indicating each identity.


7. Changing the name of your passport after you marry: If you want to update the passport of your newly married name, make a new application, along with any relevant documents such as the certificate of marriage or deed-poll. Your new passport will be issued with 10 years of validity.



Travelling shortly after your wedding day: If you are planning to travel soon after the wedding, you should consider when you will be able to make the name change. It is possible to travel in your maiden name, so that you don’t have any issues in travel documentation.


The change in name won’t take place when you marry; it’s an choice that you are able to make by completing your paperwork whenever you want to. Also the change in your name will not negatively impact your credit rating as long as you notify your change to all pertinent individuals, including the credit bureaus and banks.


The decision to change your name crucial and can be a significant one in both your private as well as competent life. You must consider every aspect and option in order to select the accurate option for you.

Be sure to inform any banks, lenders, or credit card companies you’re associated with, about your new name. It might be better to do this after you update your driver’s license or passport so you can show documentation of your new name if needed. Your marriage certificate should work too. If you own land or property, be sure to let the HM Land Registry Office know as well about your new name.”

What is a Deed poll?

The deed poll is a legal declaration that you’ve switched your names. It should indicate the new name, your decision to change it, the ending of the name you used to have, as well as the date that the name change was made. While not directly issued from government offices Deeds can be obtained via legal services or on websites.

For all post marriage name change procedure contact us. 


Share this post